10 reasons why you should replace your cotton pillowcase with silk, stat!
1. Reduces Sleep Crease: there’s no tugging of your facial skin because there’s far less friction and reduced friction means side sleepers can prevent facial lines which overtime turn into wrinkles. “There are also pretty good studies showing that what we call ‘sleep wrinkles’ form on the side of your face on which you sleep,” says Jeffrey Spiegel, MD, a facial plastic surgeon and professor at Boston University. One way to prevent them? Use a silk pillowcase, which is gentler and less likely than cotton to resist the face and cause wrinkles.
2. Hypoallergenic: Silk is naturally hypoallergenic, and prevents buildup of dust mites, fungus, mold, and other allergens. Although you may not see it, overtime it will accumulate on your cotton case and can cause havoc on your skin and sinus. Especially beneficial for people with eczema or sensitive skin.
3. Non absorbent: Cotton pillowcases are super absorbent. It’ll pull the moisture from your skin which means it’s soaking up your night creams. Think of it this way, you use a cotton towel after stepping out of the shower and it does a great job at absorbing all that water, but do you want your cotton pillowcase doing that to your skin for 8 hours?!
4. Better for acne/sensitive skin: Silk may present a kinder and cleaner surface for cradling your cheek. Silk pillowcases are gentler on the skin of people with acne or sensitive skin than rough cotton pillowcases. The friction from cotton on pimple-prone skin can create more inflammation, making acne worse. Cotton also soaks up the natural oil and bacteria from your face and hair, and that grime accumulates on your case night after night, creating a petri dish out of your pillow.
1. Prevents Frizz: The smooth surface of silk allows hair to glide and because silk is naturally cooling, your head stays cool all night and you won’t sweat preventing your hair from any frizz.
2. Prevents Breakage: There’s a common theme here and it’s the smooth surface of silk - because there’s no friction like with your cotton pillowcase, you won’t have strands of hair breaking throughout the night and waking up with a pillow full of ripped hair strands.
3. Hydrates Dry Hair: Dry hair happens when your hair doesn’t get or retain enough moisture. This reduces its sheen and can make it appear frizzy, dull and breaks easily. A cotton pillowcase will exacerbate the situation because of the friction caused when you’re rolling around in bed. Silk is also all natural but won’t strip the hair of it’s moisture and keeps it looking silky soft and smooth.
1. Prevents Lash Fallout: Since there’s no friction from silk sleeping on silk it keeps natural lashes from premature fallout and helps extend the time between fills for lash extension wearers.